Tennis Jamaica Selection Criteria for National Senior Squads
(Davis Cup/Fed Cup and Other Senior Competitions)
These guidelines have been established by Tennis Jamaica to outline the process by which players and teams are selected to represent Jamaica at the senior level and to receive various coaching and training opportunities to enhance their development.
The groups of nominated players from which players are selected to represent Jamaica in Davis Cup, Fed Cup and other senior competitions such as the Pan Am and CAC Games.
Tennis Jamaica (TJ) wishes to state that in keeping with the objective in its Strategic Plan of developing players that can represent Jamaica at the highest level internationally, including the 2020 Olympics, there will be an emphasis on development (youth) in the selection and formation of these squads.
Selections will be made by Tennis Jamaica’s Technical Tennis Committee (TJTTC) using any one or a combination of the criteria outlined below:
- The level of international/overseas competitions that the player is competing in and the rankings and performances of the player in these competitions as follows:-
- ATP/WTA rankings and performances in these competitions will carry considerable weight in the making of all decisions related to selections outlined herein
- NCAA collegiate competitions: NCAA Division 1, NCAA Division 2, NCAA Division 3/Junior Collegiate (NJCAA)
- USTA sanctioned senior level open and professional tournaments
- Past Davis Cup/Fed Cup experience
- ITF World Junior ranking (18 and under) and performance in ITF World ranking junior competitions; and
- The local rankings and the performances of players in local competitions:
- Head to head results of players over a 12 month period prior to the selection can be considered.
** Trials may be conducted in a format determined by the TJTTC
N.B. The TJTTC can use discretion to nominate players who it determines can enhance the performance of a squad/team based on team needs and competitive conditions, e.g. doubles, surface, etc. The TJTTC will use its discretion while applying the above guidelines as it recognizes the difficulty and capturing all variables and scenarios.
TENNIS JAMAICA’S BOARD OF DIRECTORS, THROUGH THE TECHNICAL TENNIS COMMITTEE, RESERVES THE RIGHT TO AMEND, MODIFY AND/OR ALTER ANY OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA. THE BOARD’S DECISION WILL BE FINAL.
Player Benefits and Responsibilities
- Opportunities to represent Jamaica in international competitions
- Special training and coaching opportunities in preparation for competition
- Opportunity for wild card entry into competition e.g. Futures tournaments
- Players must be members of Tennis Jamaica
- To represent Jamaica in ITF team competition players are required to have a valid Jamaican passport
- Players must be in good standing with Tennis Jamaica
- Players/parents must agree to abide by the code of conduct/release designed by Tennis Jamaica in relation to representing Jamaica in international competition